Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Are Video Games Making Us More Violent?

EVERYONE has heard this question growing up, and probably debated both ends of it. Today I had a moment of clarity I'd like to share.

Is anyone familiar with Foucault's Discipline and Punish?

It opens with an 18th century execution. I can't recall the crime that was committed, but the punishment was that he was tied to different horses and ripped apart. The problem is, it doesn't work. The man suffers for hours and onlookers begin to pity the computerate/ guilty man, rather than seeing him as an example. They basically need to cut the mans muscles after hours of failure.

And without going into anymore detail than that I'll continue- because, personally, it makes me feel ill.

Growing up, I know that we saw a lot of violence on TV and video games; but back then, they would see this live in the street.

So I'm thinking we're less sensitive to the concept of death and murder. In innocents such as school shootings, and other such tragedies. But in a sense, I also think we're more sensitive to brutality.

That now a days- death is death. And it's the death that is tragic. But back then, it wasn't just death, this would be hours of torture, and back then it was considered normal. They were also less prone to mass murders.

The world is cruel and brutal, just like the years before; but in a totally different way.


1 comment:

  1. I also wrote a blog post about this! :)

    Check it out! http://somespacethink.blogspot.com/2013/04/back-to-nerdy-are-video-games-linked.html

    ReplyDelete